Sealing Screws Engineering
- TYPES ZaGO manufactures many types of fasteners including screws, bolts, rivets and socket caps with many varieties of heads and drives. In addition, ZaGO is capable of manufacturing both right-handed screws (screws tightened by being turned clockwise) and left-handed screws (screws tightened by being turned counter-clockwise).
- DRIVES Available drives include: Philips, Slotted, Combination Phillips/Slotted, Allen (a.k.a. socket), Hexagonal Recess, Square, 6 Lobe, Hex/Slotted Hex/Hex Flange, One Ways, and Socket Pin Heads Spanner.
- HEAD RECESS GUIDELINES Choosing the correct drive recess for an application can mean the difference between optimum productivity and down time. Often these decisions are only addressed when problems occur in the production line. ZaGO offers the above information to assist in the proper selection of driving recess for your seal screw application. For a difficult assembly application, we also offer assistance from our engineering department to help in resolving existing problems or to improve your product drive system.
- HEAD STYLE After you have chosen the correct recess system, you will next have to select the appropriate head style. ZaGO can supply all types of head styles including pan heads, flat heads, button heads, round heads, truss heads, oval or raised heads, bugle head, cheese head, fillister head, socket head and mirror head screws. ZaGO offers you the choice of military standard screws or other head style designs. Make sure to take into account all design factors, such as torque transfer stress in the fastener recess and the open diameter to be sealed. In addition, you may want to consider the availability and cost due to the fact that there are standard head styles for certain drive systems and that some head styles do not accept all recess systems.
- MATERIAL ZaGO’s fasteners are available in a number of different materials. The most common material requested by ZaGO’s customers is stainless steel. Where great resistance to weather or corrosion is required, stainless steel, titanium, brass or bronze may be used, or a coating such as brass, zinc or black oxide applied. Click here for criteria for proper material selection and click here for detailed information on material components.
- THREADING ZaGO can supply its customers with all standard threading including Class 2A and will work with its customers to meet their specific threading needs. Non-standard lengths of threads and special threads such as left hand, metric and double lead threads are no problem for ZaGO to manufacture.
Installation and TorqueWith respect to installation and torque, there are three important design calculations and they are as follows:
- Percent Squeeze – giving standard torque installation (see Table)
- Compression/Stretch percent
- Groove Volume
|NOMINAL SCREW SIZE||INSTALLATION TORQUE (in. – lbs.)|
|(#4) 112 – 40 UNC – 2A||5|
|(#6) 138 – 32 UNC – 2A||9|
|(#8) 164 – 32 UNC – 2A||20|
|(#10) 190 – 32 UNF – 2A||23|
|(#10) 190 – 24 UNC – 2A||23|
|(#1/4) 250 – 20 UNC – 2A||75|
|(#5/16) 312 – 18 UNC – 2A||142|
|(#3/8) 375 – 16 UNC – 2A||263|
Clearance Hole DataFor optimal seal screw performance, we recommend creating a clearance gap in the panel, into which the “O” ring can be fitted. The “squeeze” of the “O” ring, and a slightly oversized gap within which it can reshape itself, causes the “O” ring to create a complete seal. The clearance hole thus prevents extrusion into the metal when the screw is under pressure. Our extensive selection of screw and “O” ring material, coupled with our vast technical knowledge and communications skills, means that we have all the necessary tools when it comes to providing our customers with the very best self-sealing screws on the market. We don’t just provide clients with the generic; instead, we work closely with our clients to learn about their exact, nuanced needs, and then execute production accordingly. To take advantage of the products and services we offer, please get in touch with us today.
ZaGO sealing products are available in a wide range of screw materials as well as “o” ring material options.Request Quote
Free Sample Products
Leverage this unique opportunity to experience ZaGO’s products at no cost.Get Free Samples
Made in USA
Sealing Screw MaterialsWe use a combination of the following materials for the metal component of the screws:
- Stainless Steel
“O” Ring MaterialsZaGO offers the following materials for the “O” rings, which come in durometer ranges from 60-70 hardness depending on the chosen material:
- Mil Spec “O”-ring materials
Restriction of Hazardous Substance
Restriction of Hazardous Substance is a directive that was instituted by the European Union which states that as of July 1, 2006 all new electrical and electronic equipment must not contain certain restricted materials. ZaGO is a RoHS compliant company that strives to make every effort to accommodate its customers’ needs for all the necessary paperwork to demonstrate compliance. ZaGO also understands that the requirements are continually evolving and that paperwork needs may change in the future. ZaGO is committed to ensuring that our customers have the most up-to-the-minute information and documentation.
The Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement
DFARS (The Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, DFARS Clause 252.225.7014, Preference for Domestic Special Metals) ZaGO Manufacturing Company, Inc. is capable of supplying self-sealing fasteners fabricated with specialty metals which are fully compliant with DFARS Clause 252.225-7014.
The ZaGO Advantage
Proudly Manufactured in the U.S.A
ZaGO manufactures its products in its state-of-the-art facility in Newark, New Jersey, using the finest possible materials. Every step of the manufacturing process is conducted by our local team, giving us the advantage in rapid production and coordination. We’re also listed with NJ Biz as one of New Jersey’s top manufacturing employers.
Prompt Delivery Worldwide
Because of our central location, we can make daily, timely deliveries throughout North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. Our ability to quickly create prototypes, implement adjustments, and begin production means that we have exceptionally short lead times.
Compatible with All Environments
Whatever hazards you face, ZaGO has a sealing solution. Torrential rains, oil intrusions, freezing temperatures or sandstorms–you name it. Our durable products were designed to withstand the most rugged environments, meaning that you can use our fasteners, boots, and crystal seals in virtually any kind of application.
Reusable and Convenient
ZaGO’s products are simply easy to use. We took messy solvents and complex installation and maintenance out of the equation. What you’re left with are one-piece, reusable products that are remarkably quick to install.
You can customize all the essential features of your products here at ZaGO–from the materials to the colors. As a result of our extensive inventory, advanced equipment, and expert technicians, we offer clients custom-tailored products fitted according to their exact specifications.